Living Connected is set up as a social enterprise within the iAccelerate business incubator at the Innovation Campus of the University of Wollongong, NSW.
Living Connected provides an integrated and individualised program to reconnect older people who are becoming increasingly isolated as they age. Whereas younger people in similar circumstances would use digital technology to stay connected and productive , fewer older people can do so. Based on several years’ action research, involving Computer Kiosks in aged care facilities, Living Connected provides an ongoing service to those older citizens who live at home. We provide guidance and support in acquiring, learning and using appropriate IT systems for whatever makes life more enriching and enjoyable for each individual client. Living Connected also provide training for families and carers to undertake our service themselves.
Our services include
- a 4 Step Home Service tailored to individual needs and with ongoing support
- Drop-In 1-on-1 help sessions on the Innovation Campus, University of Wollongong and other locations
- training for volunteer helpers and carers delivering these services
- setting up computer clubs in aged care facility and running classes on popular topics
to be a sustainable, social enterprise promoting the wellbeing of seniors through digital inclusion.
Social enterprises are commercially viable and sustainable businesses existing to benefit the public and the community, rather than shareholders and owners. They intentionally tackle social problems; enact a concern for their communities; generate a supportive and empowering workplace; provide local employment and training; and endeavour to find a balance between economic, social and environmental needs.
To develop and deliver a personalised, integrated and continuing service for seniors so that they can enjoy social and economic wellbeing through ICT capability
- Working together with the client to determine their needs and solutions
- Focussing on the client’s personal and social wellbeing not on the technology
- Practicing social and digital inclusion so no-one is left out
- Providing rewarding local employment opportunities for our staff
- Adopting a collaborative, team-based approach to decision making